Friday, June 12, 2009

Two recipe discoveries in one week!


Let's start with dessert! Last Saturday I searched my cookbooks and the internet to find something to do with a pint of blueberries and some granny smith apples that had seen better days. Wasn't long before I hit the jackpot! The first thing I clicked on was this recipe for Apple Blueberry Crumble Bars - you have to scroll down to get to the actual recipe, but believe me it's worth it! (For a bucolic bonus, take a few minutes to roam around Farmgirl's blog - beautiful photography, lots of country recipes, and flocks of sheep!) Genny and I enjoyed making this together - it was wonderfully easy - and it quickly became a new favorite for the whole family. We served it warm with Breyers vanilla ice cream on top, but I may just make another batch to keep in the freezer as snack bars.....

One might ask, what does biblical womanhood and barbecue ribs have in common? Actually, I never would have thought to ask that question prior to this week, when I came across another blog called girltalk, which I immediately added to my Google Reader. It's a beautiful and well-organized site with a wide variety of resources and commentary. And who'd have thought you could find an amazing BBQ rib recipe on such a site! But that's exactly what I found, and it too has passed the Dixon family test with flying colors. Here it is reprinted from allrecipes.com:

Simple BBQ Ribs

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 pounds country style pork ribs
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 cup barbeque sauce

Directions

  1. Place ribs in a large pot with enough water to cover. Season with garlic powder, black pepper and salt. Bring water to a boil, and cook ribs until tender.
  2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  3. Remove ribs from pot, and place them in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour barbeque sauce over ribs. Cover dish with aluminum foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until internal temperature of pork has reached 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Eleanor - for some reason I'm not getting your blog entries via my email - what did we do wrong last week?
Also, I'm sure you're trying to kill us by posting such a recipe!! 2 1/2 cups butter and almost 3 cups sugar!! Yikes!! We thought it was delicious, and so did all the 18 year old boys that stopped by last night! I put a couple of pieces in the freezer for Spence's return as he is my blueberry-eater.
My Amazon order just arrived today and I hope to be caught up to you in a few days.