Friday, October 12, 2007

A Year Without Fear

In the movie "Facing the Giants," real-life University of Georgia football coach Mark Richt encourages the fictional Coach Taylor, saying that God tells us, "Do not be afraid" 365 times in the Bible. That's one per day, right? Well, I believe that fear is the number one challenge in my Christian walk - except for pride, that is. And I got to wondering, what if I spent a year listening to God say, "Do not be afraid" every day? What kind of power would that unleash in my life?

So the other day I began my quest to find one Bible verse a day for the next year. On Monday I looked up 1 Chronicles 28:20 and recorded it in my on-again-off-again journal. On Tuesday I looked up Matthew 14:27 and did the same. On Wednesday I went to
Mothers' Small Group and eagerly shared this new project I've embarked upon, full of Day 3 enthusiasm. Someone immediately asked, "Are you going to put that on your blog?" And I thought, "Why write it down and keep it to myself, when I can just as easily type it up and share it." If no one else is interested, I've not gone to any extra effort really.....except....hmmmm......there is that accountability issue. Well, Day 4 may not have even occurred if not for the fact that I've now gone public with my intention, so I feel obligated to keep going.

I had already set up a blog last spring but had never posted anything on it. I thought the name was appropriate for this endeavor, so I've begun posting daily "Do not be afraid" verses on
thy-space.blogspot.com.

Come along for the journey and see if it doesn't encourage and empower you.

No comments: