Saturday, October 20, 2007

The "Christmas Machine" is revving its engine

Do you look forward to Christmas with peaceful warmth or with looming dread? Do you tend to spend weeks in a tizzy preparing for the holidays, only to feel incredibly empty as soon as the presents are opened, wondering why you worked so hard for something so fleeting? Do you ever feel as if you're forced to participate in family traditions that have somehow lost their meaning? Do you spend the holidays dashing from town to town and house to house, making sure you don't neglect your relatives when you'd rather be relaxing at home with your family? Do you ever promise yourself, "Next year, Christmas will be different?"

Well, if you've been outside your home in the past two or three weeks, you've no doubt seen those annual retail reminders that Christmas is around the corner. You can ignore it if you want, or grumble and mutter as I tend to do, but there's no avoiding the fact that there are only....ready?...66 days until Christmas!

Several years ago, I discovered a book that has become annual reading for me at this time of year. I feel so strongly about its message that I've even taught workshops and given talks on it. It's called Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love & Joy Back Into the Season by Jo Robinson and Jean Coppock Staeheli (Wm. Morrow and Company, Inc.). Published in 1991, it predates some technology that we now take for granted (namely cell phones and the internet), but the book's focus on personal reflection and individual expectations proves to be just as timely and valuable today as it was over 15 years ago.

The first few chapters examine the history of Christmas over the past century as well as the differing roles played by women and men throughout the season. This alone is eye-opening. But the book also deals with children, extended family and gift-giving, and the authors answer a multitude of real-life questions and offer practical ideas for determining your true desires and making your celebration more meaningful.

When I led the Unplug the Christmas Machine Workshop at Trinity a few years ago, the range of emotions evident throughout our discussions was telling. I recall one woman's obvious agitation as she anticipated Christmas with her in-laws. I recall another's tears as she shared how her family's celebrations have gradually become tense and difficult. I recall my own anxiety about numerous gift-giving issues. It became clear that Christmas somehow heightens our desires and emotions and induces maximum amounts of stress at a time when we proclaim peace on earth, goodwill toward men.

Now is the time to take a look at this book. A month from now will be too late to have any effect this year, although it would still give you a new vantage point from which to observe your Christmas preparations and celebrations. Unplug the Christmas Machine will help you examine your expectations, communicate with your loved ones, and economize your efforts. I have one copy available to borrow (request it via email). Spread the word; spread the cheer. God bless us everyone!

1 comment:

The Veritable Trumpet said...

OK, Eleanor, I'm a subscriber and I've added your blog to my blog (sounds like, 'your people will be my people'-LoL)! Thanks for the update and Scripture verse in Ezekiel - I actually have that same verse written in my journal on 9/24/07. Thanks for the confirmation and for being a fellow watchman! I enjoyed hearing from you but I have spent way too much time in cyberspace today! At least I don't have any kids to pick up - LoL:) Peace, Robin